Monday, May 16, 2011

Wow what an exhausting month!

Ok who set my clock ahead??? Its mid-May already!! Lots of news...most of it the same old same old but whatever hahaha :)

Ladies State Chili Championship (CASI) Cookoff -


Got there about 9am ....by 9:05 someone was handing out Bloody Marys.. ...interesting tone for the day! At noon they had Tequila shots going and by awards at 5 the gals had wine glasses full of I don't know what. 

And we couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day! Usually its windy and wet and there's some serious danger with falling limbs and falling Celia's but not this day. It was all sunshine and goodness.

We had a really great time. Fabulous time. Amazing time. There were 200+ cooks. I didnt make it off first table. Sigh....back to the drawing board.....and off to......

Howdy ROOoooOooOoOooooooo (CASI) Cookoff- New Chili recipe! 163 cooks! Regional Championship! Spots 1 - 5 are automatic Terlinqua qualifiers! Beautiful weather! Scary trees!


Seiously scary trees... that is what was over my head while I was cooking....

 Spent some time with some old cook friends from both BBQ and chili.

Oh yeah, Jon competed in BBQ...

Learned alot about glo-stringing ....Jon took sixteenth in Ribs and I didn't make it off the first table in chili.

Seriously, this is getting old. But Mama Sue came in second  and a friend stopped by to hang out for a bit so that was wonderful!!

I tasted the leftovers when I got home and realized I didn't have enough salt in it.  Ok let me retry this ....

Sarge Bell and Rory Martin Memorial (Tolbert) Cookoff - I love rolling out of bed and going to a cook off thats just a few miles from my house!! Just a lazy feel to the day yay!

We rolled in at about 815 am.  Jon was cooking ribs or I would have gotten up much later or gone to the gym first  lol.  And another perfect weather day.

We registered and started setting up.

This apparently upset a mockingbird because she felt the need to swoop on us constantly as we were putting up our canopy. Thank goodness she was distracted by the tremendous number of turkey vultures and decided to go after one of them (she won).

I cooked my chili as usual. Jon cooked his ribs and one of his bandmates came and hung out with us for the day.

Awards ceremony about 5 pm and Jon took third in ribs!! Yay Jon!

Then they announce the chili sigh. First place is automatic qualifier for Terlinqua "behind the store" and there were enough competitors for second through tenth to get points.  I don't know how many there were but enough apparently.

10th place chili-not me.
9th place chili-not me
8th place chili - not me
7th place chili-not me
6th place chili - not me
5th place ch.... wait a minute.... go back one... 6220?? Is that what he called??? Oh sh&^ that IS me..lol

Yup, I got sixth place in chili and even beat out a past Terlinqua champion or two. Can you hear the angels singing?? Oh that's me sorry lol

And I finally have a chili trophy... and two points towards Terlinqua "Behind the Store".


And I couldn't have done it without the help of my buddies :) Yes, I made it off first table and a promise is a promise lol...I will be making you guys some of MY chili.....and Thank you!

And if you are wondering what is the difference between CASI and Tolbert AND Terlinqua and Terlinqua "Behind the Store"...I will explain it all to you in my next posting!

Next cookoff is in Blanco TX...until then..... come one...let it out.... its time...

HOWDY ROOOoooOOOOoooooOOOOOoooo!!!

2 comments:

  1. It's shel.. I just had trouble logging into my wordpress account, so for now I am anonymous

    so. proud!!!!!!!!!! whoo hoo!! YOU are my hero ;) I puffy heart river cat chili!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go C!!!!! Excellent job, I want some chili!!!!!! With a side of corn bread, please 0:)

    ReplyDelete